Fairy Tales, Fantasy, and Possibility


Yes, I believe in Fairy Tales! Not the fairy tales that most conjure up to mind. I find so often when I ask people what the meaning of a fairy tale they say…”A time for make-believe”.  For me there is nothing further from the truth when I think of Fairy Tales although I will admit that when I was younger, my vision for my life was such a vastly different to place  I live today.  Never would I have imagined.


This is the princess cake for my granddaughter on her 4th Birthday...I am so glad I have passed along the joy of fairy tales to another generation

Today I am living my life in ways I have never expected.  I still believe in fairy tales but I don't profess to know the ending.  When I was 17 years of age, I wrote a story that created quite a stir. You see it was my life story in part.  It was the story I had woven of being from the underwater city of Atlantis, the princess daughter of King Neptune.  It was a story that really told the tale of a young girl who was looking for her place in the world, wanting protection, but turning to fantasy as the only way that she could cope with life and feel safe.

I couldn't stay in my imaginary city if I was to learn to travel the road of adulthood.  For the girl who didn't have anyone to guide her, life actually had an amazing way of bringing out the best in her at times, and somehow she found people to protect her when she least expected it. And that little girl grew into a woman.  She learned to not hide in the fantasy in her mind but find her way to navigate the path of life.

And so I return to wisdom.  I don't profess to be the guru of wisdom but I know that today it is my past path that allows me live and embrace life.  I have learned to love with all my heart.  I have learned that the authentic me is far better than the person who "has it all together". I have learned that my tears only mean that I have the ability to care from depths of my heart.  When I said that I believe in Fairy Tales, it is because today I know that there is a difference between "fantasy" and "fairy tales".  For fantasy takes me away from all that matters in my soul.  Fairy Tales help me believe in the goodness of others, the value of dreams, and the knowledge that tomorrow is made up of endless possibilities.



My beautiful granddaughters Layla (14 months) and Adelyne (3 months).  Layla lives with a life limiting condition but her presence in my life continues to make me believe in "possibilities"

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts